TalkEnglish Independent Study: Level 1 Sample Lesson
Step 1: Text, Vocabulary, and Comprehension Questions
- Please read all of these instructions before you begin. To enlarge the lesson, click the Full Screen View button in the top right corner of the lesson.
- Pronounce the vocabulary words aloud and use the written pronunciation guide for help.
- Next, look up the definitions of any words you do not know in the online dictionary below.
- Write the definitions in your notebook.
- Then read the text aloud and look up other words you do not know.
- Finally, answer the Comprehension Questions and write the answers in your notebook.
Step 2: Check Your Answers to the Comprehension Questions
Step 3: TalkEnglish Pronunciation Teacher
Download the TalkEnglish Pronunciation Teacher MP3 file for this lesson. This section will help you to practice your pronunciation.
Step 4: Discussion Questions
Write the answers to these questions in your notebook and in the blog below. Please use complete sentences. Then compare your answers to the answers of other students.
- Jesus sends wine to the man in charge of the feast. Does the man in charge like the wine? How do you know?
- Jesus makes the best wine for God’s glory. What is one area in your life where you want to give your best efforts? Why?
- Jesus gives good wine to the people at the wedding. What good things has God given you in your life?
- What do you learn about Jesus from this story?
Step 5: Watch the Movies
The Gospel of John
Set up the English subtitles and watch Chapter 5:1-14. Click here* to purchase on Amazon.com.
The Jesus Film
Jesus performs a miracle for Peter in section 17:56-27:03 of this movie.
To watch the movie in English:
Click the arrow on the film below.
To watch the movie in your own language:
Click here* and then click the arrow next to the word English.
In the Search Languages box, type your native language. Hit Enter.
*This link will take you to a website not associated with TalkEnglish.
Step 6: Advanced Historical Studies (Optional)
Step 7: Make Decisions
After each lesson, you can make decisions to help you grow in your knowledge of English and of the Bible. Before going to the next lesson, take a minute to make some decisions.
Your answers are sent to the TalkEnglish office and are not made public on this website.